Monday 19 March 2012

This is a poem that is sometimes used at

funerals and is readily available online.

The author is unknown.


The Spider
A spider spun a silken thread

And swung from grass to ground

“I must find out the news”, he said

“That’s buzzing all around.”

The garden creatures great and small

Were quiet as a mouse,

They saw the caterpillar crawl

Into a tiny house.

“He’s such a fool,” said the ladybird

As she polished up her nails.

“It’s the silliest thing I’ve ever heard,”

Said a pair of solemn snails.

So all the creatures went away

All thinking she was dead

Until one bright and lovely day

A little earthworm said.

“I see a crack in the little shell

And something moves inside

I see a head and wings as well

Come quick and see,” she cried.

“The caterpillar’s back,” they said,

Before their very eyes

A butterfly stepped out

And smiled at their surprise.

“I left the life you thought I knew,

You thought that I was dead.

I did it just to show to you

We die to grow,” she said.

No comments:

Post a Comment